Wednesday, March 28, 2012

3/28/2012 Springsteen Tour 2012

My daughters gave me a great birthday present: a ticket to Bruce Springsteen at the TD Garden in Boston two nights ago. I've been a fan for a long time (saw him with Jackson Browne at the Villanova Field House in October 1973), and this show was just GREAT!

The next day I hit Tour infomation on backstreets.com click for link and wanted to make maps of his USA and Europe tour legs. Starting with Excel, I made two spreadsheets - one for the USA

and one for Europe

I want to use Tableau for visualization; it has a nice little geocoding database (ZIP Codes, City Names, etc), so I only had to find latiutude-longitude for a few cities. Europe, on the other hand, needed latitude-longitude populated directly into the spreadsheet, so I consulted a misc. site on the Internet.

After bringing the files into Tableau, I ran the data in a time-series, which shows Bruce jumping all over the country (as the little red dotted lines indicate)(March 9 - May 2)

But that is nothing compared to the chicken scratches that makes up his European tour (May 13 - July 31):

Thanks, Bruce, for all the memories, and for keeping it alive.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! You gotta feel a little bad for the West and Pacific Northwest for not getting any concert stops. Glad he came to Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! It's very fun to see how you put maps & Bruce together. So glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post!! It's so cool! I bet Bruce would think it's hep, too.

    ReplyDelete