Thursday, March 1, 2012

3/1/2012 Locations on Google Maps, Part 2

As I said yesterday, I want to get “real” Google Maps in this blog, not just screenshots. Let's just see if the "link feature" can get to the htm code on Dixon Spatial Consulting...
Click here for DixonMap5
Ok, that just links to the map, but does not make the map appear in the blog. I googled "putting google maps in a blog", and four interesting links are

How-To: Putting Google Maps on Your Blog

Add a Google MAP to your Blog.

How to easily add interactive Google Maps to your Blogger posts

Embedding a map into a website or blog

Since the last is actually from the Support area of Google itself, it will probably be the best, but I am curious and will read them all. [...time passes ...]
Ok, it looks like there is not an easy way to do this. Well, there is an "easy way", but it does not deliver the functionality that I have when I code my own maps (multiple locations, specific icons and tool tips, etc) - work through Google Maps.

How does this look?

View Larger Map

Well, actually, it does not look too bad. You can see multiple points, zoom-in/zoom-out, change to satellite view/terrain view/and even Google Earth view with 3D buildings in downtown Boston! - I told Google Maps "Bank of America branches in Boston, MA".

It looks like I can get "my maps" into this blog, but it takes a little more "poking around under the hood" than I am currently comfortable with (Modify the Template Code, then ADD HTML/Javascript Gadget). Maybe at another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment