Thursday, March 7, 2013

3/7/2013 Gettysburg/Civil War maps

I must apologize - in my last post, I feel that I was rather casual about the set of Gettysburg/Civil War maps. Produced in 1876, they are wonderful maps that tell the story of the three days of the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3, 1863 (one map for each day):






As explained on the visit-gettysburg web site,the Union positions are in blue and the Confederate positions are in red.

Before they went out of business, Borders sold a great (BIG!) $19.99 book called Maps of War amazon link. I bought a copy for myself, then I bought another copy to cut up and frame the maps!

These maps are also available from the Library of Congress web site

I believe these maps were originally published as part of ATLAS TO ACCOMPANY THE OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE UNION AND CONFEDERATE ARMIES. In 1999, the original was offered at $1,200, and reprints/reproductions were available for $150/$200.

No comments:

Post a Comment